Friday, November 15, 2013

it's not delivery

homemade pizza is one of those things
my parents made and i've always loved.
 
its one of my go-to meals i request when i'm at their house.
 
when my bridesmaids spent the night
before my wedding?
yep, that was the pre-nuptials dinner i asked for.
on my 30th birthday?
yep, that too.
 
so why don't i make it for myself?
i did try it y e a r s ago
for valentine's day and it was a big success.
 


and then i never made it again.
so weird.
and its really not that hard.
 
last friday we had a date night planned with the turnbow's.
since they just bought a house
and we have a five month old,
we decided that staying at home for dinner might be cheaper
and easier on our bedtime routine.
 
so finally, i busted out my pizza making skills after almost four years.
and i must say.
it tasted just like my parent's.
yee haw!
 
wanna make your own pizza?
instead of making margherita pizza like i did years ago,
i made supreme.
it was easiest for me to do things ahead of time,
so during morning nap i cut up all my veggies and cooked my hamburger.
i used a 1/2 lb hamburger (seasoned with oregano, basil and garlic),
 peperoni, onions, bell pepper and mushrooms.
i just left them all in the fridge so i was ready to go that night.
i bought canned pizza sauce (which is different than what you would use for spaghetti)
and made my crust about an hour before the turnbow's were scheduled to arrive.
the crust is what really makes a pizza
so here's what you'll need.
 
1 1/4 C flour
1/2 pkg dry yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup lukewarm to warm water
(if your water is too hot it will kill the yeast)
 
mix water and yeast together and let stand 5 minutes.
add flour and salt together and stir into yeast.
mix until blended.
roll into a ball.
let it set in a bowl, covered with moist towel for 45 minutes.
preheat oven to 500.
spread dough with buttered hands on pizza pan.
add sauce and toppings.
bake for 10 minutes.
remove and add mozzarella.
bake until melted. (around 2 minutes)
 
 
so good.
i ended up doubling everything and making two
since we had four adults eating.
 
now i kind of want to make one every week.
 
 
 
(this crust recipe makes a thin, crunchy crust.
if you're more into deep dish, you might want to double the recipe
for just one pizza.)

No comments:

Post a Comment